- What do I seek?
- My goal as a developer - and a person - is to become better than I was the day before. When surrounded by people with this outlook, I find that everything else pretty much takes care of itself. In any work environment, I look for these characteristics:
- A shared sense of enthusiasm and the desire to innovate.
- Roles where I can exercise both creative and technical skills.
- Responsibility for the direction - as well as execution - of projects.
- Opportunities for learning by doing, or, an appreciation for R&D. A little bit of exploration en route to ROI is the secret to exceeding client expectations.
- What do I contribute?
- I excel at interpreting client needs, conceiving new products and services, and actively contributing to their development. Most jobs I've had entail a mixture of brain-storming, designing, and programming on multiple levels, from database back-ends to web interfaces. I enjoy using new technologies, and constantly look for improved tools and methods that achieve the best results possible; often before they are considered within the realm of possibility.
- More important than the technical skills listed below, I possess an enthusiasm for learning and finding better ways of doing things. I enjoy the creative process as much as technical problem-solving; and this, even more than my broad experience base, enables me to find paths of least resistance towards goals.
Brian Woodring LLC
Telecommute2010 - Present
- Through my LLC, I design, build, and administer n-tier corporate web sites, services, and applications, using the latest technologies, particularly the Microsoft .NET framework. My work has included cloud deployments of eCommerce and informational sites, intranets, visualization, CMS, data systems, and secure web services. Currently delving into AngularJS and the Unity platform.
Robert Half Technology
- Web Developer
Portland, OR / Billings, MT2004-07
- Web Application Developer
- During my three+ years working in the telecom industry, I designed and created internal communication applications, telecom system databases, and the interface for a hosted IP telephony system. After creating new corporate websites and an intranet (ASP.NET 1.1/C#, CSS, Flash, XML) for the Billings regional office, my following year was dedicated to implementing a means for monitoring and auditing telecom equipment by migrating disparate data sources into proper databases (MsSQL), and generating numerous validation reports and diagnostic mechanisms (ASP.NET 2.0/C#, XHTML).
CH2MHill / Lockwood Greene
- Multimedia Developer (Marketing, IT)
- 2001-04 After three years of successful projects for external clients, my efforts were internalized for development projects focused on redefining LG's image and infrastructure as a newly acquired part of J.A. Jones - and later CH2MHill. I supervised and produced award-winning integrated web and CD distribution software (ASP.NET, CSS, DHTML, Flash, XML) for the Marketing and Enterprise Solutions (IT) groups, resulting in doubled or tripled traffic to various corporate websites. In addition to generating reports, commercials, and presentations for executive management, I conducted training classes for internal personnel on various content creation tools (Dreamweaver, Flash, PhotoShop) as part of an IT empowerment initiative.
- Multimedia Consultant (LG Consulting)
- 1998-01 Perhaps the most enriching period of my career to date, being a consultant for LGC placed me in various leadership and development roles for clients such as: Akzo Nobel, BASF, Coca-Cola, Covance, Eclipse Aircraft, GlaxoSmithKline, Intel, Lockheed Martin, Metric Constructors, Novartis, Ruetgers Organics, SEDA, and the Tourism & Industry Development Council of Trinidad & Tobago.
- The nature of work varied as much as the industries in which they were executed, and included: 3D illustration and animation, custom computer-based training (Authorware, DHTML), business analysis and documentation, marketing research and advertising content development, web and kiosk distribution software (DHTML, Flash, Director), forensic tools, and process simulations. These years proved invaluable to me; rigorous and repeated 'pushing-of-the-envelope' challenged me as a developer, while interfacing with clients and internal teams honed my communication and project management skills, allowing me to coordinate efforts on a scale I had not previously ventured.
Shannon Display Systems
- Shannon Display was a light industrial manufacturer, specializing in store fixtures and trade show exhibits. I joined the engineering team to develop both business process and marketing materials. I would typically participate in the design and planning of semi-custom fixtures, then produce construction and assembly documents, complete with 3D illustrations and annotations. Frequent consultation with technicians and supervisors on the factory floor allowed me to verify the accuracy and efficiency of the processes and instructions, while actual inventories (Access DB) were synchronized with (3D CAD) models, for use in business projections and sales estimates. Additionally, I re-tasked the engineering models to create accurate renderings of store layouts or exhibits, for catalogs (DHTML) and pre-visualizations that accompanied quotes.
John Wieland Homes
- CAD/Product Designer
- I began working for the nationally recognized home builder by drafting designs and illustrating layout instructions (AutoCAD) in their cabinetry division, where I also developed a production tracking system (Access) for the manufacturing facility. Having learned many aspects of the business, I was soon placed in charge of the custom cabinetry and millwork team, where I managed all aspects of projects; from design, budgeting and scheduling, to supervising construction and installation. I trained personnel on CAD and business process applications, established new manufacturing standards and documentation methods, and supervised 8-12 team members.
MetLife Group Health Insurance
- Data Analyst
- 1992-93 Performed statistical analyses of seasonal workload volume (Access, DB2, Paradox, Quattro Pro), claim adjuster performance, computer system and workflow efficiency; then produced periodic reports and executive presentations of the data. Trained office personnel on productivity software and new data-collection systems and practices.
- Systems Specialist
- 1991-92 Trained claim approvers on the use of the in-house medical claim processing system, and performed maintenance on the software and database by troubleshooting usage issues and handling data entry exceptions.
I have an extensive background in development that includes coding, graphic and interface design, multimedia content, data structuring and administration, audio and video editing, 3D animation, technical illustration, presentation development, project management, and computer-based training.
My experience spans a multitude of platforms, languages, and applications; but currently, the technologies and tools I prefer (in no particular order) include:
- MS Visual Studio, C#, ASP.Net, Azure
- HTML5 & CSS
- MS SQL Server, IIS, MySQL
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Unity, MonoDevelop
- 3DS Max, AutoCAD
- SketchUp Pro
- ...and any Google API